Microfilm and Microfiche Conversion
RDM is a leading provider of Microfilm and Microfiche conversion services. We help companies of all sizes to convert Microfilm and Microfiche to digital images in either PDF or TIF formats.
The Basics of Converting Microfiche & Microfilm to Digital Format
Since the mid-1800s, Microfilm and Microfiche have been a reliable alternative to hard copy file storage resulting in a long and storied history. They are considered Microformats and have proven essential to efficient information management for nearly two centuries. But with the advances in technology, converting legacy data from Microfilm to a more serviceable format, such as TIF or PDF images, has become a requirement for many companies and government organizations. RDM offers outsourced services to help convert and index this data to companies of all sizes.
The Challenge of Accessing Microfiche and Microfilm
Many companies and government organizations have large amounts of information stored on Microfilm Rolls or Microfiche Cards. In many instances, these rolls are not easily accessible and cannot be shared between various people within the organization. In addition, as time passes, the equipment (known as a Microfilm or Microfiche Reader) used to search for data on these rolls is often damaged or unavailable, making access to the information nearly impossible.
The Solution of Converting Microfiche and Microfilm
RDM helps clients to convert rolls of Microfilm and Microfiche jackets to images on CD, DVD or online. We will index the Film or Fiche with keywords or index values, to help users quickly locate and access the data for which they are looking. As the demand for immediate, shared access to information increases, RDM offers clients an easy, outsourced method of changing this legacy information to TIF or PDF images.
RDM has the ability to convert film that is 35mm or 16mm, blipped or unblipped for Microfiche and can accommodate either Jacketed or COM Fiche. If you don’t know what type of Microfilm or Microfiche you have, please contact us and we’ll be happy to help convert a sample of your data and let you know what the format is.
By providing immediate access to information that was once stored on Microfilm or Microfiche, organizations are better equipped to address the needs of their end-user communities. Information can be searched and retrieved in seconds, without needing any specialized equipment. Additionally, data is more readily availability to help with audit and compliance requirements, such as the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA).
Benefits of Images vs. Microfilm/Microfiche
- Remove outdated Microfilm and Microfiche Readers.
- Image retrieval from Microfilm/Microfiche is quicker.
- Multiple users can simultaneously access images over a network.
- Images can be printed, faxed or emailed.
- Images can be OCR’d to provide for full-text searching within the contents of the documents for greater search capabilities and complete document portability.
Aperture Card Conversion
Aperture card conversion allows you to convert your cards to digital images for improved access and retrieval. RDM will use the Hollerith or handwritten data on the card to provide an index resulting in immediate access to valuable data.
Aperture card conversion will allow you to:
- Do away with outdated card readers
- Increase storage space by putting up to 15,000 aperture cards on a single CD
- Expedite the retrieval processes
- Improve access – images can be printed, faxed or emailed directly from the desktop
- Multiple users can access scanned images at the same time over a network
- Convert the aperture card images to PDF format to have greater search capabilities and complete document portability
To learn more about our Microfilm and Microfiche conversion services, give us a call at 215-953-5175 or contact us.